- Preparation time: 30 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Serves 6-8
Ingredients for Thandai:
- 5 lit full fat milk/ whole milk
- 50 gms almond s
- 20 gms cashew nut
- 12 gms pistachio
- 1 & ½ tablespoon poppy seeds (khuskhus)
- 1 & ½ tablespoon watermelon seeds (magaj)
- 1 & ½ tablespoon fennel seeds
- 6 gms green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- Few strands of saffron
- 2-3 tablespoon rose water
- 300 gms grain sugar
- Soak the almond, cashew, pistachio, poppy seeds and watermelon seeds together for 5 -6 hours (remove the almond skin once it is soaked. Add all the soaked nuts to a blender & grind well to smooth fine paste and keep aside.
- Dry roast the black peppercorn, fennel and cardamom till they emit fragrance. Transfer the roasted spices to a grinder and blend to fine powder and keep aside.
- Bring the milk to boil in a thick bottomed pan and simmer till it reduces to a thick milk consistency.
- Add the sugar and saffron strands to the hot milk & mix gently to dissolve the sugar and refrigerate.
- Add the nut paste and roasted spice powder along with rose essence to the milk and refrigerate till further use.
Ingredients for Rasgulla (Rasmalai Dumplings)
- 1 liter Full cream buffalo milk
- 3-4 tablespoon white vinegar (to curdle the milk)
- 1 teaspoon refined flour
- 2 cups grain sugar
- 7-8 cups of water (for sugar syrup & vinegar solution for curdling milk)
- Bring the milk to boil in a large vessel and boil for 4-5 mins.
- Dilute the vinegar with 2-3 cups of water and slowly add to the simmering milk. Add more water-vinegar mix to the milk if required to curdle completely. Once the entire milk solid (Chenna) is separated from the light yellowish green whey, add a few ice cubes and 2-3 cup water to prevent the chenna from cooking further.
- Strain all the chenna and wash it under running water to remove traces of vinegar. Gather it in a piece of cheesecloth and hang for 2-3 hours to remove excess water.
- Transfer to a flat container & knead with soft hand for 10 mins to get a uniform mixture. Add the refined flour and knead for another 5-6 mins to get smooth and soft dough.
- Divide into 15-20 small dumpling balls and shape each into a smooth round flat patty/ ball with no visible cracks on the surface, can stuff with chopped dry fruits.
- Add the 2 cups sugar along with 5 cups water & bring to boil, boil for 5 mins before adding the chenna balls. Boil & cook till the balls are half immersed in the syrup. Once the rasgullas are cooked, they will submerge in the sugar syrup.
Gently squeeze the rasgullas to remove excess sugar water. Then drop them into the chilled Thandai milk base. Refrigerate and serve chilled, garnished with slivered almond & pistachio.
By Swasti Aggarwal, Food Strategist at Foodhall